Azhagi Android App - Highlights and Features
- Voice input in 100+ languages - English, Tamil, Hindi, Arabic, Urdu, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, etc.
- Typing in 24 languages - Tamil, English, Hindi, Urdu, Arabic, Sinhala, Telugu, Kannada, Bengali, Oriya, etc.
- Type anywhere - Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, SMS, Gmail, Skype, Viber, Blog, Google Search, etc.
- SuperFast Tamil transliteration.
- SHIFT key NOT needed to type ள், ற், ண், ஸ், ஶ்!!!!!
- Multiple keyboards for most languages - Transliteration, Inscript, Phonetic, KaChaTaThaPa, Swanalekha, etc.
- Word suggestions, Auto-correction of spelling mistakes, Next-word suggestions, etc.
- Smart editing of previously typed texts.
- External physical keyboards connected to your device can also be used for typing.
- Built upon 'Indic Keyboard' open source app.
- 100% free with 100% free support.
- Azhagi android app has been built upon Indic Keyboard OPEN SOURCE app (version 2.0.3). Using Azhagi app, you can type in 24 languages (Tamil, English, Assamese, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Mon, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sinhala, Sourashtra, Telugu and Urdu), with multiple keyboard layouts for most languages. Not only that. All the other features of 'Indic Keyboard' app (as of version 2.0.3 - like word suggestions, quick editing of previously typed texts, etc.) are also available in 'Azhagi', naturally.
- Thanks to Google's Voice Engine, Speech-to-text (Voice input) can be effected in 100+ languages - English, Tamil, Hindi, Arabic, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Sinhala, Telugu, Urdu, etc. To know how to effect voice input in these 100+ languages, please read instructions in this page. Related facebook post is here.
- Azhagi android app hosts Azhagi's Unique and super-fast Tamil Transliteration Scheme via 'அழகி - ஒலிபெயர்ப்பு' keyboad layout. Those who have had the opportunity to use the desktop version of Azhagi (since 2000) have found Azhagi's transliteration scheme to be the easiest and fastest - please see uu.html for more details on how Azhagi's Tamil transliteration scheme is the 'easiest and fastest'.
- Predictive text technology employed. So, you can see words getting suggested in a separate bar as you keep typing. Well, I had written in great detail about this and very many other features of 'Indic Keyboard' already in our group - here. My short review of 'Indic Keyboard' is also here - which containts a link to my abovementioned post in our group. As ever, thanks in tons to Mr. Jishnu Mohan, SMC (Swathanthra Malayalam Computing) and Google's AOSP (Android Open Source Project).
- You can quickly edit previously typed texts. For e.g., after typing 'அவர் நான் வணங்குகிறேன்', you can go back and type 'ai' after 'ர்' to make 'அவர்' to 'அவரை'. No need to delete 'ர்' and type 'rai'.
- Smart and Superfast Tamil transliteration!!!!! No need to press shift key to transliterate ள், ற், ண், ஸ், ஶ். Yes, no need at all. This is a unique feature of Azhagi, even as of August 2017. Using the 'x' modifier feature of Azhagi, just type 'lx, rx, nx, sx, shx' to get 'ள், ற், ண், ஸ், ஶ். Note that typing 'L, R, N, S, Sh' also will give 'ள், ற், ண், ஸ், ஶ்' anyway. Further, typing either 'lxx, rxx, nxx' or 'llx, rrx, nnx' will give ள்ள், ற்ற், ண்ண்.
e.g. kaalxai, irxaivan, kanx, ulxxam, karxxu, kanxxan, ullxam, karrxu, kannxan, sxaagaram, shxivan = காளை, இறைவன், கண், உள்ளம், கற்று, கண்ணன், உள்ளம், கற்று, கண்ணன், ஸாகரம், ஶிவன்.
Already users have specifically referred to the above-explained facility and acclaimed it as a SUPERB facility.
Well, there are more such smart speed-typing tips when it comes to Tamil transliteration using Azhagi Android App. All such tips can be read at aa-tamil-trans-1.html.
Note: In Azhagi+ desktop application, 'x' modifier has been extensively and judiciously used for languages other than Tamil (i.e. Hindi, Kannada, Telugu, etc.). Extending the same principle for Tamil in Azhagi's android app, the additional smart mappings "lx, rx, nx, llx, rrx, nnx, lxx, rxx, nxx, sx, shx" have been introduced.
- 'gngn' itself can be used in words like meygngnaanam, etc. to give மெய்ஞ்ஞானம், etc.
- One can easily type using external keyboards too.
- You can hard press not only on comma and spacebar for accessing the settings but on Azhagi's icon near spacebar too for 'mappings' and 'acknowledgements' output, alternately.
- Other languages (Hindi, Sanskrit, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Bengali, Punjabi, etc.) corresponding to Azhagi's easy transliteration schemes will be added to Azhagi app one by one in coming times.
- Slowly and steadily, more innovative and/or useful mappings, features, options will get introduced.
Other points of interest
- Keyboard layouts provided in a few other IME apps also will be added to Azhagi app in due course. In connection with this, I hope users of Azhagi's desktop versions are aware that in Azhagi+ desktop application, one can press Alt+4 and type according to the mappings employed in softwares like eKalappai, NHM Writer, Anjal, etc.
- In Azhagi app too, you can select 'தமிழ் எழுத்துப்பெயர்ப்பு' keyboard layout and start typing in the way you type in softwares like eKalappai, NHM Writer, etc.
- Well, if you are one of those who are not yet aware of the desktop versions of Azhagi and their unique/special features, then please download and start using the desktop versions of Azhagi too. You will remain inspired and immensely benefited much the same way as the other worldwide users of Azhagi and Azhagi+ (AzhagiPlus). If interested, you can read the testimonials of existing users of Azhagi/Azhagi+ applications, here.
- As of Aug 11, 2016, I have added only Azhagi's Tamil transliteration scheme in 'Indic Keyboard' app, via 'அழகி - ஒலிபெயர்ப்பு' keyboard layout^^. I will be adding Azhagi's transliteration schemes for other languages, only in times to come. So, as of Aug 11, 2016, except for 'அழகி - ஒலிபெயர்ப்பு' keyboard layout, for the rest of Azhagi app (which includes the keyboard layouts for more than 20 other Indian/world languages), all thanks to Sri Jishnu Mohan, SMC (Swathanthra Malayalam Computing) and AOSP only.
(^^) The Azhagi library (libSairamJsr-azhagi--ime.so) acts and effects Azhagi's unique and proprietary Tamil transliteration when 'அழகி - ஒலிபெயர்ப்பு' keyboard layout is opted/selected by the user for his/her typing needs.
- Since 'Indic Keyboard' is OPEN SOURCE (i.e. source code is free), any interested Android developer can make modifications to it and release a new app based on it. If you wish to, you can avail Azhagi's library* (closed source '.so' c++ library added by me in 'Indic Keyboard' app) too in such app of yours.
(*) There are certain things you need to know, as a developer, in order to use my library. Interested developers can contact me to know the details and how to go about using Azhagi's library, thereafter.
- If and when possible for you, kindly please spread the news of Azhagi Android App, "as much as possible", so that many more of the society get benefited. It wll be great if you can highlight the unique/special features of Azhagi app when you spread it's news so that interested ones will feel readily enthused to try out Azhagi. Thanks.
- Please visit contribute.html and see what best you can do, to contribute to both the desktop and android versions of Azhagi. I have NOT sought any money (from any entity in any form) therein as contribution. I have sought something else. So, kindly please visit.
http://azhagi.com/aa.html - All about Azhagi Android App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.azhagi.inputmethod.azhagi - Google playstore download/install link for Azhagi Android App.
Installation and Setup - step by step instructions
http://azhagi.com/aa.html#ins - Step by step instructions on how to install and set up 'Azhagi Android App' on your phones/tablets/etc.